South West London Law Centres Logo
Legal Action for the Community
Home  |  Donate  |  News  |  Work With Us  |  Find Us


020 8767 2777

About Us Casework services Advice clinics Housing Court Duty Scheme EU Settlement Scheme Am I eligible? Support us Useful links


We offer high quality employment legal services at as low a price as possible, to help people who would otherwise go without access to a lawyer. We cover all aspects of employment law.


We offer a free 20-minute phone appointment. We’ll make an initial assessment of your case and discuss the range of options open to you. You will then be provided with an email summarising the advice after the appointment.


Please get in touch with our employment team by emailing Please include your phone number.


If you can't email, please call 020 8767 2777. Our phone lines are very busy at the moment. If we can't answer, please leave us a voicemail with your name and phone number and we'll call you back.


If you live in London and are on a low income, we may be able to assist you free of charge.


If you do not meet this criteria, we can offer low not-for-profit rates. For instance if you earn above £45,000, we’ll expect you to pay for our employment advice service. This is so that we can continue to help local people who are not able to afford legal advice. If you wish us to undertake further work for you, we’ll discuss our fees and funding options available for your case. These include fixed fees, no-win-no-fee agreements, and any legal expenses insurance you may have via your home insurance. 


You must act promptly if you have been dismissed or are unhappy at work, as strict time limits apply to courses of action you may wish to take.


   You can download our employment leaflet:                          


Employment issues we help with


If you have worked for your employer for more than two full years and you have been sacked unfairly, we can help you bring a case in the Employment Tribunal.  If your employer is treating you so badly you want to leave your job (or has otherwise broken your employment contract) and you are contemplating resigning, we can help you with advice, and with bringing your case if appropriate.


Unpaid wages

If your employer is withholding your pay or not paying you the correct rate of pay, then we may be able to help.


Notice pay or redundancy pay

If your employer has failed to pay you your notice pay or redundancy pay, we can help you make a claim to the tribunal.


Holiday pay

You are entitled to receive 28 days’ paid annual leave (inclusive of bank holidays) from your employer. If your employer refuses to pay you when you are on holiday, we can help you.


Breach of contract

If you think that your employer has broken a term of your employment contract, then we may be able to assist you with a claim.



If you would like to raise a grievance against your employer or another work colleague, we can help you to draft a letter to them.



If you feel that a sanction imposed on you by an employer is too harsh (for example, a final written warning), then we can help you to draft a letter of appeal to your employer.


Settlement Agreements

There is no income threshold applied to clients seeking advice on a proposed settlement agreement. This is because typically the employer pays for the advice and we do not charge anything above the amount that the employer proposes to pay. Only if you do not sign the agreement following receipt of the advice, or your employer does not pay for our advice for some other reason, would you then be liable for the fee.



If you feel that you are being treated badly or that your employer's practices or rules put you at a disadvantage because of your race, disability, sexual orientation, gender, pregnancy, gender reassigment, marriage or civil partnership, age or religion and beliefs, then you may have a discrimination claim.


Are you eligible for legal aid?

Following the changes to legal aid in April 2013, you should, in the first instance, contact Civil Legal Advice to find out if you are eligible for legal aid. There is an online calculator at


You can also contact them by telephone on 0845 345 4345 or minicom 0845 609 6677. The lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm and Saturday, 9am to 12:30pm.


Civil Legal Advice will then be able to provide you with information on how to take forward any claim you may have.