South West London Law Centres Logo
Legal Action for the Community
Home  |  Donate  |  News  |  Work With Us  |  Find Us


020 8767 2777

About Us Casework services Advice clinics Housing Court Duty Scheme EU Settlement Scheme Am I eligible? Support us Useful links


If you are homeless or appealing a housing benefit decision, you must act promptly if a written decision has been made, as a strict time limit applies. 


Am I eligible?

Check first whether you are eligible for funding.



If you are homeless and the Council is refusing to help or the Council has made a decision in writing but for any reason they are not accepting the application, then we can help.  We can also advise if you have been offered unsuitable accommodation.  Where a written decision has been made, you must act promptly as a strict time limit applies.


          Download our housing leaflet:               





















If you rent your home and there is substantial disrepair to your home and you have reported it to your landlord, then we can help.  We can also help where urgent repairs are needed (for example, lack of heating and hot water).  In all cases, you should first report it to your landlord.



If your landlord (private, Council or Housing Association) has served you a Notice Seeking Possession (or Notice to Quit) or has issued court proceedings, then we can help.  We can also help if your landlord has applied for the bailiffs (warrant of possession).  It does not matter why your landlord is trying to evict you.



If you have a mortgage and the lender is seeking to repossess your home, then we can help.


Housing Court Duty Scheme

If you have an eviction or repossession hearing scheduled at Croydon, Kingston or Wandsworth County Court, please visit our Housing Court Duty Scheme page.



Rent Deposit Clinic

Our evening clinic in Croydon (Tuesday night) offers specialist legal advice in relation to landlords failing to return tenants deposits.


The Tenancy deposit protection law was introduced on 6 April 2007 to ensure that tenants are able to recover their deposit from their landlord or letting agent at the end of the tenancy, less any amount that the landlord/agent is entitled to withhold.


The legislation covers all deposits taken on Assured Short-hold Tenancies (AST’s) in England and Wales.

All deposits taken after 6 April 2007 on an AST must now be protected by one of the government-authorised deposit protection schemes.


If your landlord refuses to return your deposit we may be able to help. Please read the leaflet on the service that we offer.


Always seek legal/money advice before your hearing and as soon as possible. This will give you more time to get your evidence together and a better chance of keeping your home.  Failure to seek legal advice well in advance could mean the difference between a favourable and unfavourable outcome at your hearing.